Olive Foster Outstanding Teacher Award
Do you know an outstanding history or social studies teacher in Illinois?
The ISHS Educational Services Committee seeks nominations for the Olive Foster Outstanding
Teacher Award. This award honors Olive Foster, former Illinois State Historian, Director of the School Services Program, and originator of
the Illinois History Program for students. The annual award is designed to recognize and reward a full-time teacher for outstanding
contributions to the study and teaching of state and local history.
Recipients of this award actively promote Illinois history in schools as well as in their local communities,
using the resources of one or more local historical societies, museums,
the ISHS, and other Ilinois-based historical organizations. Documentation of the teacher's work is required.
A $ 1,000 award will be given in 2013 to an Illinois teacher from one of the following categories:
The award will be presented at the Illinois State Historical Society's Annual Awards Banquet in April 2013.
Nominations may be made by any group or person, including the nominee, and should be accompanied by the following information:
- elementary school level,
- middle/junior high school level, and
- high school level.
The deadline for submission of requested information is
January 31, 2013.
Nominations may be submitted via paper (to Illinois State Historical Society, Foster Award, P O Box 1800, Springfield, IL 62705-1800) or electronically, using the online form.
Olive Foster Outstanding Teacher Award Online Entry Form
- Nominee's name and address
- Nominee's subject and grade level
- Nominator's name and contact information
- The school where the teacher is employed
- Contact information for the school's principal
- Nominee's educational background
- Nominee's professional experience
- A narrative description of the nominee's outstanding classroom accomplishments. This
should include specific history units taught by the nominee and information about local museums
or historical societies that were involved. Commentary on the results or impact of the programs
and how they were developed may be included. Other awards won by the nominee or nominee's students should also be included.
- Letter of support or recommendation
- The Society's Educational Affairs Committee will judge all nominations and select the winner.
For more information, call the Illinois State Historical Society at 217-525-2781.