Historic Marker:

Cantonment Wilkinsonville

 

County:

Pulaski

Picture:

No image available

Location:

The marker is located in New Grand Chain, on the east side of IL Route 37, directly below the Joppa County Road.

N:

37į 05.099

W:

-089į 01.473

Erected:

1935

Erected By:

The State of Illinois

 

Marker Text:

On the Ohio River three miles south of here Cantonment Wilkinson-Ville, named for Gen. James Wilkinson, was established by Lt. Col. David Strong in 1797 as a post of the United States Army. It was garrisoned until 1804. Here are buried Colonel Strong and scores of soldiers who died.

Map:

 
 


Go to Top of Page